CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST ROUNDTABLE DISCUSSIONS8:00 - 9:00 | Thursday, 1 February
Join your colleagues and fellow delegates over breakfast for a focused, informal discussion moderated by a member of our speaking faculty. A small group format allows participants to meet potential collaborators, share examples from their own work, vet ideas with peers, and be part of a group problem-solving endeavor.
TABLE 1: Battery Testing Methods
Jens Groot, Ph.D., ESS Specialist - Cell Characterisation & Modelling, Electromobility Sub-systems, Volvo Group Trucks Technology (GTT) Advanced Technology & Research
- Is it possible to standardize test methods for battery performance?
- Can simplified cycle life tests, possibly standardized and performed at various labs, be used to make realistic cycle life forecasts?
- Is cloud-based analysis of on-board collected data a way forward to reduce need to extensive lab-tests?
Andrew F. Burke, Ph.D., Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis
- Recent experience using supercaps in vehicle applications
- Cost and performance requirements for supercaps in automotive applications
- Best applications for supercaps in present and future automotive applications
Raf Goossens, Ph.D., CEO, Global Corporate Management, PEC
- What are the key challenges for manufacturing large format cells?
- How can we achieve the large volumes that will be needed to fulfill the expected future market demands?
- What simplifications can be introduced during manufacturing?
- How can we progress with reducing the current cell manufacturing cost?
- What are the safety risks during manufacturing and how can we handle these risks?
Benjamin Park, Ph.D., Founder & CTO, Enevate
- What is the maturity level of Si today?
- What different approaches are there with Si?
- What are the challenges and how can the industry work together to solve them?
- How does Si compare with other next-gen technologies such as solid-state/lithium metal?
- What markets are the best markets for Si-based anode technologies?
Boris Monahov, Ph.D., Program Manager, Advanced Lead-Acid Battery Consortium (ALABC) - a program of the International Lead Association (ILA)
Alistair Davidson, Ph.D., Director, Products and Sustainability, International Lead Association
- Overview of recently analyzed lead battery performance data from 12V start-stop and micro-hybrid applications and 48V mild-hybrid applications
- Future battery science developments in line with the new 1618 ALABC Program and their potential application for future vehicles
- How do the energy cost per mile compare?
- What are the infrastructure cost per mile compare?
- What are the prospects for the future?
Andreas Hintennach, Group Research, Mercedes Benz, Daimler AG
- Can specific chemistries have an important benefit for specific applications (like long distance travelling, city cars, busses, trucks etc.) instead of a "universal" chemistry
- Can future cell chemistries be used for a symbiosis battery + range extender (fuel cell or similar)?
Roland Matthe, Technical Fellow Battery System & Manager Electrification Architecture, Opel Automobile GmbH
- Will widely available public infrastructure for DC-Fast charge and AC charge make BEV the preferred choice?
- Further reduced battery cost, advantage for BEV over EREV and PHEV concepts?
- PHEV and EREV provide flexibility to combine zero-emission commuting and infrastructure independent travel.
- Long term perspectives, influence of regulations.
Robert Bienenfeld, Assistant. Vice President, American Honda Motor Co, Inc.
- Are ICE Bans helpful in sending a market message, or constraining in terms of potential solutions?
- Do ZEV-type regulations aid in the advancing of the shift to ultra-low carbon transportation?
- Are new regulations essential to manage the growth in VMT from Ride Hailing services?
Robert Spotnitz, Ph.D., President, Battery Design LLC
- Standards on specifications for materials and cells that better define their characteristics
- Standards on testing methods for cells and modules that accounts for boundary conditions
- What is best approach for estimating battery life?
Wenzel Prochazka, Ph.D., AVL List GmbH
- Discuss housing technologies and where the greatest opportunity for cost reduction is
- Batteries as structural vehicle parts: what is the offset value?
- Cost analysis methodology: What is the participant's experience with early cost engineering within the development process?
Kevin R. Konecky, Energy Storage Systems Consultant, Total Battery Consulting
- Explore the idea of standardizing cells, modules, and packs
- Discuss standardization of regular and fast charging
- What strategies are being used to create viable infrastructure
- How to better use existing infrastructure to meet goals
Dee Strand, Ph.D., CSO, Wildcat Discovery Technologies
- Discuss materials used to meet automotive energy density targets
- How is electrolyte development keeping up with new high energy cathodes?
- Current challenges in electrolyte formulations